The main thing for the weekend (February 3-4)
Suicide Squad launched on Steam with positive reviews and low online, a study showed that 95% of studios make game services, Sony limited the activation of its games on Steam accounts from Russia and Belarus, - we tell you what happened in the gaming industry over the weekend.
Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League
- The CEO of Pocketpair studio, Takuro Mizobe, wrote in X that it costs a round sum to support Palworld servers. Over the past month, the developers have spent ¥70.5 million, or about $475,000. "Wait, maybe we'll go bankrupt because of the cost of servers?" Mizobe joked. Recall that in less than two weeks, 19 million people played in Palworld.
- At the end of last week, a full-fledged release of Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League took place. Although the gaming press was disappointed with the project, gamers liked it. At the time of writing the news, the game has a "very positive" rating on Steam: out of 2.5 thousand reviews, 84% are approving. But she couldn't boast of high online quality. According to SteamDB, at its peak on Saturday, February 3, 13,459 Steam users were playing Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League at the same time.
- Griffin Gaming Partners and Rendered VC conducted a study on the gaming industry. For him, companies have requested 537 studios from all over the world. As it turned out, almost all of the surveyed developers are engaged in game services: this was the answer given by employees of 95% of studios. 66% of respondents said that game services are necessary for the studio to succeed in the long term. At the same time, the development of game services lasts longer than the development of traditional games. Instead of two or three years, it may take more than five years. Also, the creators of game services are trying to release new content faster. Ideally, they want to release small updates every one to two weeks, and larger updates every two weeks or once a month.
- Sony no longer allows you to activate former PlayStation exclusives on Russian and Belarusian Steam accounts. The corresponding announcement appeared on the websites of online stores, including the Buki website. However, the network writes that Sony games can still be sent as a gift from accounts in other regions, for example, Kazakhstan.
- The authors of the Satisfaction factory construction simulator reported that they sold 5.5 million copies of the game in five years. The last time sales of the game were revealed in September 2023, then they amounted to 5 million copies. Coffee Stain also confirmed that Satisfaction will be out of early access during 2024.
- The success of their game was also shared by the authors of the Luthor shooter Vigor. They announced that the audience of the title exceeded 19 million people. It took the game four and a half years to do this: it was released in August 2019.