Nintendo posts $1.8 billion in profit for H1, as Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom tops 19 million copies sold
Nintendo has released its report for the first half of FY24 ended September 30. The company saw growth in all the key business metrics, with Tears of the Kingdom driving sales of Nintendo Switch.
- According to its financial report, Nintendo reached ¥796.2 billion ($5.3 billion) in revenue in the first half of FY24, up 21.2% year-over-year.
- Operating profit was ¥279.9 billion ($1.86 billion), up 27% compared to the same period last year. And net profit grew 17.7% to ¥271.2 billion ($1.8 billion).
- 78.3% of total sales came from outside of Japan, with the Americas (43.7%) and Europe (22.8%) being the top two regions by revenue.
- “Sales in the first half of the fiscal year were the largest since the launch of Nintendo Switch, due to an increase in sales in our dedicated video game platform business, as well as a rise in mobile and IP related income (including revenue associated with The Super Mario Bros. Movie), coupled with the significant depreciation of the yen,” the company said.
- In the first half of FY24, Nintendo Switch sold 6.84 million units, up 2.4% year-over-year, of which 4.69 million were the OLED model.
- Switch remains the third best-selling console of all time, with its lifetime sales having now reached 132.46 million units.
- Over 97 million copies of games were sold in the first half of FY24. Overall, there were 16 titles — 12 first-party and four third-party games — with sales of over 1 million units.
- Digital sales grew 15.8% year-over-year to ¥217.5 billion ($1.44 billion), accounting for 50.2% of total software sales.
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom reached 19.5 million copies sold globally, making it the ninth best-selling game for Nintendo Switch.
- Other best-selling titles in H1 Fy24 included Mario Kart Deluxe (3.22 million), Pikmin 4 (2.61 million), and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (1.35 million).
Top 10 first-party games on Nintendo Switch by lifetime sales:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — 57.01 million;
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons — 43.38 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate — 32.44 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — 31.15 million
- Super Mario Odyssey — 26.95 million
- Pokémon Sword / Shiled — 26.02 million
- Pokémon Scarlet / Violet — 23.23 million
- Super Mario Party — 19.66 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom — 19.5 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe — 16.7 million